Oh the Temptation!

This week has been somewhat difficult. A couple of fabric companies I like came out with some really cute fabric that I wanted to get. There was a gnome print that would've been too cute to make the kiddos some pajamas with and some sweater knit that I could've made something for myself with. A couple of sewing patterns went on sale that I liked too.

I managed to not buy any of it and because I've been doing so well I'll actually have the  money to pay for my hair appointment this weekend instead of putting it on the family credit card and paying it back later. That card is supposed to be for household expenses only and sometimes things that I want that I don't have the money for yet but will have the money for with my next pay end up on there.

As I mentioned before I'm trying to break the habit of buying things I don't have the money for at the time of purchase. I want to stop impulse buying and living paycheck to paycheck because I can't tell myself no. I feel like I've already made progress in that area because right now I'm not buying anything!

You saw me mention I'm getting my hair done, I also got my nails done last weekend, and will be getting my eyebrows waxed next week. Someone asked me if getting my nails done was approved spending and, yes, it is. My goal is to stop buying things, to retrain my brain so I can stop thinking I "need" everything that I see that I like. I want to have the means to go do things for myself (like said hair and nail appointments) without having to stress about where the money for these things will be coming from.
Obligatory Nail Photo. Ignore the dishpan hands, I must wash them 500 times a day
I spend the majority of my time chasing my toddler and feeding or changing my infant and since I also work from home this doesn't really leave me with a lot of time to do things for myself. I don't leave the house very often, especially now that it's cold outside. It's a hassle to get two kids out to the car, deal with taking coats off and putting them on and taking them off and putting them on all by myself so I tend to wait to do anything that's not absolutely necessary until the weekend so then my weekends are mostly spent doing all the errands I couldn't get done during the week. Mom life.

Though my at home stylist is pretty cute
Having my hair and nails done, or getting my eyebrows waxed are my time to get out of the house for a bit and enjoy a couple of hours away from the two tiny people who always need me for something when I'm home. They are experiences, not material items and that's what I'm hoping to be able to enjoy more of both with and without the kids. I'm taking my daughter to an Anna and Elsa story time and pottery painting party this weekend!

In order to lessen the temptation to buy things I've been cutting back on the time I spend browsing the internet. This frees up my hands to actually use some of the craft supplies I've been hoarding. I've gotten farther on a shawl I've been knitting this week than I have in the past year it's been since I cast it on. I'm hoping to be finished with it in the next couple of weeks. It's nice and thick and made with a wool yarn so I'm sure it's going to be warm!

I haven't finished reading the financial diet so I'll be sure to post that review next Wednesday. I had something come up yesterday, which is why this post is late, so I'm combining my Wednesday and Friday posts this week into this one post.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause