New Quarantine Project #12 - Painting the Living Room

So this whole quarantine I've been binging various shows on HGTV and DIY Network, as I'm sure a lot of you have been doing too. After about the billionth episode of Property Brothers I decided I wanted to repaint my living room, powder room, as well as finally paint the foyer, kitchen, and the little hallway between my living room and the powder room and mudroom.
Pretty much most of my home decor has been handed down or gifted to me and I've always decorated based on those colors which were mostly burgundy, gold, cream, warm-toned things. I've always preferred cool tones myself so I decided that it was time to redecorate. I mean I'm 37 and I'm not sure what I like home decor-wise. It's time to figure that out. Not that the things I had been given weren't nice, they just weren't entirely what I wanted.
I decided to start with the living room, as it's the biggest room and I figure it will be the most time-consuming. Last weekend my husband took the kids to his mom's for a day. Here's what we started with:
Yes, we do have a cage around half our living room. That's what having two tiny humans does to a person.
 I spent the whole day taping, painting, and catching up on My Favorite Murder. If you're a true crime enthusiast and haven't heard of this podcast you should try it out. Fair warning, there is some salty language. My husband has remarked on that no less than 5,000 times since I started listening to it. All in all, it wasn't too bad a day, even though every time I paint a room I remember how much I dislike painting. Here's the finished product:

Apologies for the lack of matching panoramic after photo. I forgot to take one.
 Not too shabby if you ask me. It is a little darker than I anticipated. I plan to get some gray curtains and eventually we'll be installing a built-in entertainment center along the wall where the TV is and that will be white so hopefully that'll brighten it up a little bit. The kitchen is eventually going to be painted gray too so I'm hoping the grey curtains will tie everything together.
I plan to put some silver picture frames up on the mantel and some large ones on either side of our wedding photo up on the wall over the mantel. I think it's going to look pretty nice when I've got everything done. Eventually, we're going to get a new couch, I'm not sure what color I'm going to get. I'm thinking probably gray or maybe like a taupe color? We'll figure that out when we're able to go look for one.
So now I've just got eight more projects to go to get my 20 before quarantine ends. Sure restaurants and what not have opened back up again but I figure I'll say quarantine is over when we're able to resume life at a more "normal" pace. My husband's still working from home and we can't have gatherings over ten people so that feels pretty quarantine like to me.
I still haven't had the time to sew my bum pad and chemise for the costume I'm making, and I have a fourth of July dress planned for my daughter so hopefully I can get at least one of those finished this weekend. I'm probably not painting anything else until the following weekend and that'll most likely be the kitchen as I think painting over the cabinets is going to be tricky so I'd like to get that out of the way first.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Low Buy Update