My Makeup Runneth Over

About 12 or 13 years ago I bought my first high end eye shadow palette. It was the Urban Decay Smoked palette and I loved it. It came with an eyeliner, ten eye shadows, and a little booklet that showed you where to put them on your eyelid to create different looks.

Photo Credit: Temptalia

Up until then my small makeup collection was populated entirely by drug store products. I hadn't known what I was missing. Eventually I stumbled upon makeup tutorials on YouTube, all these years later, my burgeoning makeup stash has demonstrated why falling down the beauty guru rabbit hole was a huge mistake.

Seriously dude, how much crap does one face need?
So, makeup is definitely an important category on my no buy. I am not going to buy any new makeup until my birthday next year unless I run out of something necessary, like foundation, eyeliner, or mascara. In order to buy a new one I have to use all that I have unless something goes bad in which case then, of course, I can trash it. This includes samples and travel sized items I've picked up.

In order to stop buying new makeup I've already stopped watching the vast majority of the beauty YouTubers that I used to watch and most of the things that I do watch are videos about eye shadows or things that I already have to inspire me to use them up.

I'm going to be wearing makeup more often in an attempt to use this up and I'm planning to do a destash at some point to thin the herd of palettes I don't reach for or things that  have expired or are the wrong color for me. I used to subscribe to both Ipsy and Boxycharm so I have a couple of things that just don't work for me that I'm going to go ahead and take this opportunity to purge.

I'm still doing pretty well on the no spend. I added up my expenditures and subtracted the birthday money I used and so far I've only spent $11.99 that wasn't covered by one of my allowable spending stipulations. I caved and bought a pattern to make my daughter a jacket but I did buy it with fabric in mind and will be sewing it up in the next couple of weeks as long as I can carve out some time to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause