Facebook Break

In my last blog post I touched a little bit on how I've been feeling less stressed out lately. Some of that is partly due to my decreased spending leading to a bit more flexibility in how much I work but another thing I've changed lately that is also helping with both my spending and my general mood is the amount of time I spend on Facebook.
Last week I noticed that all the negativity that's been on Facebook lately has really had an effect on my mood. I've been stressed out, and depressed because it seems like everywhere I look on Facebook there's people fighting with each other. Posts from my friends, posts in my groups, random things that pop up in my news feed, lately everything seems to offend everyone and I've been feeling a bit burnt out so I decided to take a two week break. I've been continuing to post pictures of the kids because we have out of town family members that get to see what they're up to, I'll continue to post when I put up a new blog post, and I check my notifications to see if there's anything that needs attention but that's it.
I've been doing it for about a week now and I've noticed a big improvement not only in my well being but also in my productivity. I'm caught up on laundry, I finished two of the three books I'm currently reading (yes, I typically have more than one on the go at a time), I've started working on a page in my Discworld coloring book.

Bet you didn't know Death loves kittens.
Basically, I'm spending more time doing things I really enjoy and less time scrolling through Facebook and it's making me a happier person.
It's helping with the spending because I follow a lot of pattern and fabric companies on Facebook so when new items come out that's generally where I hear about them, especially now that I've got all my marketing emails going into my weekly rollup. If I'm not scrolling around on Facebook generally the only things I see are the things that are at the top of my feed when I log in to post a picture or check my notifications. It's far less likely that I'll see things that will tempt me to buy them because I'm not spending more than a few minutes on there and that's just to do what I've come to do and then leave.
Now, I have found a couple of times that I've been drawn into looking at things that catch my interest when I see them at the top of my feed but it's a lot easier to tell myself, "Damnit stop looking at your Facebook," now that I've remembered all the things I can do now that I'm no longer caught up in paying attention to my feed.
So, if you've noticed that you're spending too much time on Facebook and it's making life a bit of a downer because you're not allowing yourself the time to spend doing the things you love, or because it's just overall a toxic environment I'd recommend taking a break. At this point I'm thinking this is going to be more than a two week thing, I'm planning to make it permanent because the effect it's had on my life in just a week has been pretty freeing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Crafty Projects I've Made During Quarantine