Ongoing Projects

And I'm back! This week I'm going to talk about how I plan to tackle my hobby spending. As I mentioned in my previous post I have a lot of unfinished projects and projects that I have supplies for that I would like to work on. I also have a lot of sewing and knitting patterns I've bought and never used that I'd like to get some use out of. I also have a MASSIVE stash of yarn and fabrics that I've been hoarding over the years.

BEHOLD! My craft room closet in all it's, er, glory?

Please not that that's not even all of it. I have yarn stashed all around the house as well as fabric that I've washed but haven't boarded and stored in the closet yet. In order to attempt to organize this madness I've created a couple of different means of tracking my projects. For my sewing I have made myself a spreadsheet with tabs for each pattern maker that I've purchased patterns from. I've made a row for each pattern with columns for a picture of the pattern, the fabric I plan to use for it, the notions I would need to purchase to sew it, and a space for notes. I plan to start with the projects that I do not need to purchase anything for and work from there.

As I listed in my rules, I'm okay to buy supplies like thread, stabilizer, zippers, etc. if I need them to finish a project. I cannot buy things just because they're pretty and I got distracted by them, and I cannot purchase fabric, I have to work with what's in my stash until I run out. I hope to finish a project every other week, but with the two littles running around I'm not going to hold myself to that. Some days they don't let me sew and that's okay.

As for knitting, I'm just making a list of projects I'm currently working on that need finished, and projects I have yarn for but haven't started yet. I don't have enough patterns from specific pattern makers to create a spreadsheet similar to my sewing. I'll mark of projects as I finish them.

I also have a plethora of other hobbies that I have purchased supplies for but either never started the project or started the project and haven't finished it. I'll be keeping a list of those as well since they're kind of all over the place (I paint with watercolors, cross stitch, scrap book, and make cards ... Because apparently I feel the need to do all the things) so they'd also be hard to make spreadsheets for.

I'm planning to post here twice a week, Wednesdays and Fridays.  Friday I'll be posting an update on my current progress as well as discussing the pitfalls of payment platforms like Afterpay and Sezzle that break down your spending into biweekly payments instead of you having to pay the full lump sum at once. Next week I'll be talking about my makeup and how I plan to work through what I have and keep it all organized.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause