Making Fancy Coffee at Home!

Hi all! One of the things that I've found difficult during my no buy has been curbing my Starbucks addiction. I have allowed myself one trip to Starbucks per month (vs. my usual every time I'm shopping at Target, or out running errands and drive past one, or out running errands and not really driving past one but there's one that I can make a detour to, or just whenever I actually leave the house because, hey, I'm outside ...)
So, in order to provide myself that pick me up that only a fancy coffee seems to give I did some research. Now I don't have a milk frother or anything fancier than a Keurig for my at home coffee making and I didn't want to buy anything because that would miss the point entirely, helloooo I'm on a no buy, so instead I opted for finding out how to make delicious steamed and frothed milk with what I had. All you'll need to make lattes and cappucinos at home is strong coffee (because I also do not have an espresso machine. Yes, I know this means they're not technically lattes and cappucinos but, hey, close enough.) a coffee maker, milk, and something microwavable with a lid (I used a mason jar).
My tools. This time I used my Keurig, sometimes if I'm feeling extra I use my French press
 So first thing you want to do is make your coffee. In order for it to taste like a real latte or cappuccino you'll want something strong and dark, but if that's not your bag you can always just use whatever you normally use. While your coffee is brewing put some milk in your mason jar. I used about half a cup of 2%. Put the lid on the jar and then shake that thing like it owes you money for about a minute. You should get something that looks a bit like this:
It'll be nice and frothy and should have just about doubled in size. Take the lid off (DO NOT MICROWAVE A MASON JAR LID, THAT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA!) and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. While this is cooking go ahead and add any sugar or flavoring you'd like to your coffee. Once the milk is steamed use a spoon to hold back the milk froth and then pour as much of the steamed milk into your coffee as you'd like.
Boom, caffe latte
If a cappucino is more your speed you can then spoon out the froth left in your mason jar and put it on top of your coffee.
Starbucks, Shmarbucks

Enjoy! You just saved $4, or whatever $4 minus the small cost of your milk and coffee were. So maybe $3? $3.50? Whatever, you saved money.
 Next week I'm going to add up what I spent in the first quarter of 2019 and what I've spent in the first quarter of 2020 and see how they compare. Since I've been buying my Awesome Con tickets, photo ops, and the ticket for the Back to the Future panel I'm not expecting much of a change in this quarter. We should see a bigger change when I do this again in June. I'll also try to get some photos of some projects I've completed. I'm doing pretty good with my two projects a month goal. I think I'm only one behind, which is much better than I've done in previous years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause