Working From Home

Hi all! Since restarting my no spend I've been doing very good with sticking to my rules. I'm looking forward to doing it for the rest of the year. I really think this is going to be beneficial to me and help me to think about shopping in terms of things I need, not just things I think I need. I'm also having a good time decluttering my house and I can tell you the weight that has lifted alone has been incredible. I'm finding that something about clutter just causes stress and not having all the clutter is pretty freeing.

Today I'm going to talk a bit about how I make my money. I'm a stay at home mommy with two kids so I don't have a lot of time to work, I normally do so when my little girl is taking her nap. The baby naps sporadically and not for as long but he's usually pretty content to lay beside me on the couch or on a blanket on the floor and chew on his toys while I work.

Right now I have two steady revenue streams. My main "job" is with Rev.com where I transcribe audio files.
My main money maker.
I've been working for Rev for almost two years now and it's been a pretty steady source of income for me.I've seen some negative feedback online about poor pay and strict grading. People have said that once they decide to close your account you can't contact Rev to dispute it. Luckily I haven't had this issue but Rev has stated recently that they are working on a fairer process for grading transcriptions. I do shy away from taking harder jobs because I am afraid of being too harshly graded and losing my main source of spending money (which is now savings money since I'm not buying anything) so I'm hopeful that they'll work this out because the difficult jobs pay more.

In the beginning it is pretty hard to make good money on Rev. You have limited access to jobs that have already been picked through as a beginner so it'll take you longer to complete each job. Once you get better and move up the ranks the pay rate for jobs goes up and you get first pick at the new jobs when they come through, so there's a little patience involved as you work your way up.
My secondary "job" is as a freelance writer for a company called textbroker.
I just started working with textbroker this week so I'm still learning about the company and how things work but so far I've completed three jobs and I'm enjoying it. As a beginner I am not making very much money with textbroker but I think, like Rev, as my experience grows and I get selected for team work and some of my customers start contacting me directly for continued work I'll start to earn more. Right now it's merely supplementing my Rev work and allowing me to flex my writing muscle a little bit. I've always enjoyed research and report writing (I LOVED it when classes had research papers in lieu of final exams in college) so I'm really excited about this opportunity. While report writing isn't exactly what I'm doing, it kind of feels that way because two of the three assignments I've done have required some minor research and then writing based on what I found.

Every week I have a goal of making $150. $50 of that goes into a fund I have in my bank account for hair and eyebrow appointments (I have stopped getting my nails done due to a nail injury that was not the fault of my nail technician. I'm going to revisit whether I still think having my nails done fits into my no buy rules once it heals. I may stipulate only for special occasions like date nights or holidays, I'm not sure.) The remaining $100 goes into savings, this is the money I'll use for Awesome Con and the Ren Fair and also to accumulate savings so I can go into next year no longer having to live paycheck to paycheck as far as extra spending money goes. Hopefully sticking to my no buy will cause me to want to continue to spend less next year, that's the plan, but when I no longer have to live by my no buy restrictions I want to ensure that I don't wind up right back where I started, spending all my money before I even make it.

I hope you enjoyed learning about my work from home jobs. If you're interested in making extra money working from home, then I recommend looking into Rev and textbroker. I've been pretty happy with both so far. I also recommend working for multiple companies if you can. There are definitely days where Rev doesn't have a lot of jobs open and it's nice to have textbroker to fall back on, and vice versa. It's also nice to be able to pick what I want to do each day because sometimes I don't want to transcribe and others I don't have the concentration required to write an article. Keeping your options open is never a bad thing. Thank you for reading, and I'll see you Friday with my declutter/hobby post. This week I've been working on cleaning my craft room, rearranging the furniture so that it's more functional, and organizing my mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause