Friday DeClutter - Counterfeit Makeup

Hi all! As I promised earlier this week I'm going to talk about counterfeit makeup in this blog post partly because I'm pretty sure I accidentally bought some on Mercari. Now I know you've seen in my makeup Monday posts that I own some dupe palettes from Bad Habit. So the main difference between dupes and counterfeits is that dupes, while considered problematic by some, are completely legitimate, legal products.
Bad Habit is/was (Again, I'm not sure. They still have a website but there aren't any products listed on it and I'm pretty sure the "away" message has been the same since Shop Hush closed last year.) a registered brand and their products have to go through all the quality tests and have all legal ingredients listed on their packaging just like any other product you can buy at a legitimate retail store.
Their product can be similar in color and packaging as the original product but they can't be the same, no logos, no claiming to be the brand they're duping, most of the times the color names are different and put in a different orientation in a palette.
Counterfeit products, however, are often nearly indistinguishable from the original product. The packaging, branding, color names, orientation in the palette, ingredients list, everything is copied from the original item. They are intended to pass as the real deal.
The most disturbing part of a counterfeit product is that because they are illegal, they haven't been held up to the same quality and safety measures that a legal product has to adhere to. If you haven't watched the documentary Broken you should, they have a great episode that goes into all the bad things that have been found in these products and why you should only buy makeup from authorized retailers.
A lot of times you'll find these counterfeit products on resale sites like Poshmark, Mercari, or Ebay. This isn't to say that all makeup on these sites are counterfeit, I sold my perfectly legal, bought at Sephora Pastel Goth palette on Mercari when I decided the colors just weren't right for me, but you have to be careful when you make a purchase from any seller who isn't an authorized retailer.
I made the mistake of buying the Too Faced Glitter Bomb palette from Mercari because it was a limited edition (Why do they do that? Just put it in your collection or don't. I'm never buying a limited edition palette again just on principle.) and, while I can't be sure, it just doesn't perform the way that I've seen on YouTube videos and the colors aren't as vibrant.

Pictured: Pink eye waiting to happen?
Because I'd rather not risk it, and I didn't pay very much for it (Hence the worry about it being counterfeit) I've decided to declutter it. Also, I realize I forgot to post my declutter post last week, I decluttered some blueberry flavored coffee that literally tasted like coffee got stuck to one of those grape tootsie roll pops. Turns out I like both things separately but not mixed together, shocker. I don't know why I keep buying flavored coffee, usually I just want coffee that tastes like coffee.  Well, unless it's Grim Bean coffee, that shit's delicious, but I digress. See you guys next week with pictures of my newly reorganized craft room and, hopefully, a couple of finished projects to get caught up on my bi-weekly finished project goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Projects

Why Are Fabric Companies Trying Me Right Now?

Declutter and Crafting for a Cause